Saturday, July 2, 2011

This Week...

This week has been one of those weeks that will go down in the history of my life. It goes a little something like this:

Starting Sunday I woke up with a full blown fever. Most likely upwards of 100 degrees. I was dying. Chills and sweaty at the same time. I was sore, exhausted, and it bit the big one. But the service that was all around warmed my heart immensely. Throughout the day my roommates were more than encouraging and caring. Then my dear friends Rachel and Eric brought over a soft blanket, a movie (which they watched with me), soup, apples, and a water bottle. Rachel was so kind and scratched my back and breaded my hair...which is my favorite, what can I say? It was so nice. Then that night I finally left the house and walked to the park as the sun was setting. It was beautiful outside. Idaho in the summer...words can hardly describe. Then Sunday night my roommate asked if I wanted to get a blessing. I decided on yes, and at 11:55pm two of my friends (one FHE brother), graciously came over in Sunday dress to give me a blessing. I love of having priesthood members so close. I feel like that is the ultimate service.


Ok so I'll blur through Monday-Thursday. I was struggling with fatigue, fever, a serious cough, mucus, and on and off chills. The havoc this week has let lose on my GPA is daunting to say the least. So I'll do a quick list of the damage:

-missed Christian History (losing, attendance, participation, and homework points)
-missed Humanities (not missing much, I just really like that class)
-only worked an hour and a half...so I essentially missed an entire work week at the library
-didn't do the Christian History homework missing those points
-didn't do my Literature journaling, also losing points
-turned in an incomplete blouse for sewing that took me without exaggeration over 24 hours to make and its our biggest project
-didn't to do the reading for sewing, getting a 0 for homework that week
-didn't finish my French homework
-most likely failed a French test

Alright so there you have it. I'm a little numb to how bad that all is, but I can only imagine. This semester has been awfully hard. I'm more than certain B's are in my future and not to be melodramatic, by my future hopes and dreams are also in the toilet if I get B's. Not a big deal.

OK, so in the positive, here are some more random acts of service I was the recipient of this week:

-My work was more than understanding of my being sick. They were very kind and just wanted me to get better.
-Lots of people expressed a sincere wish for my speedy recovery.
-I secretly like it when people say I don't look so good because it makes me feel vindicated for feeling crappy. Like they aren't saying "hey suck it up your fine" they say "yikes, you don't look so good, you should get some rest" or as my French teacher said "you look like you just got digged out of the grave" :) one of my personal favorites.
-I was walking around the pines clinging to my French book and looking for a classmate who lives in my building as a guy (the manager or the manager's husband) was fixing the vacuum. He asked if I was ok and I said I was sick. He said do you need medicine? We have all sorts of medicine! And ran up and got me a whole box of flu medicine!
-Someone told me they like my comments in Literature!!! :)
-Everyone was so kind in the sewing lab. They were all very patient and helpful. My teacher even came till 9pm to help us finish up. I was a little embarrassed for being so far behind with the project and the due date so close, but she didn't let on at all that she was disappointed.
-I called the pharmacist and nurse at the Student Health Center looking for guidance. They were totally empathetic and helpful.

Ok and to finish, Friday. So today I woke up and resolved a trip the doctor was in order. I called my friend Becca and she was more than willing to drive me to the student health center and her boyfriend, also my friend, said he'd pick me up. It was so nice because I've been having a lot of trouble breathing, especially when walking any sort of long distances.

I get to the doctor. The nurse informs me I have a 100 temp and 92 blood oxygen level (it should be between 94-100 and she is concerned). The doctor comes in and feels my breathing and can't hear much, which is also concerning. He deems it necessary to have chest x-rays. Which I do and afterwards we discover there is an infection in my lungs, they are inflamed and a patchy mess from what I see. I do a breathing treatment. And he decides to treat me for pneumonia. He prescribes a steroid, anti-biotic, inhaler (my personal favorite), and I'm taking mucinex and regular pain killers. It all makes sense now!

Its been so difficult to breathe and function, but I am so grateful for the service I have been the recipient of this week. This has been a long post but I hope a helpful life update. I rarely speak of actual events in my life on my blog, so hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment