Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Yes, I am in College

As the years go by in my life I have come to learn a few things; one of which is that I am short. From how much it comes up in conversation, I must be very short. How short am I exactly? Well evidently that is a debatable fact. Some friends say I'm 4'11" or 5'0". I think I'm 5'2". So usually I just say 5'1".

It seems my physical stature would give off the appearance that I am in high school...or maybe even middle school (shutter)...I have had many an experience of people commenting on their shock when they discover I am in college. Once, at a day camp I was a camp counselor. We went around introducing ourselves and when I said I was 19, a young observant boy yelled out "What! You don't look like your 19!" (Also, this boy was in 6th grade, and as tall as me) When I went to church dances as a Senior in high school, freshman boys taller than me would ask me to dance, and usually comment on how I am so short they didn't think I was a Senior. In fact, as a Junior in high school, I was particularly insecure about my height. It really did bother me how much it came up in conversation and was pointed out. But that insecurity was defeated when I went to BYU-Idaho. Rarely did I hear mention of how small of stature I am. At this point in my life, I almost expected to be a little teased about it, but nothing came of it. I was treated as just another student. And being treated thus gave me the confidence to "act tall."

It wasn't till this weekend that I remembered how short I am once again. I was visiting my family in California and my uncle's mom (not my Grandma) commented how she wasn't expecting me to say I was in college. Let me be clear, this in no way bothered me. But I still think its funny that it comes up nonetheless. I'm at the point when people mention that I look in any way old, I am very much flattered. But I can safely say, I've heard it all. I know I am short. I'm 5'1" and 5'6" on a good day. (Hello 5 inch heels...)

1 comment:

  1. It's not the size of the person, but the size of the heart that matters. So, in my book, you're a GIANT! Stand tall my friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete