Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Some Favorite Modern Bands...of all time

As I sit here putting off my Philosophy homework, I can't help but think of some of my favorite modern bands of all time. There is some stinkin great old music. But all that aside, I'd like to formulate a little list, if you don't mind. In no particular order, here are three of my favorite modern bands:

1. Sigur Ros. I've mentioned before my undying love for this band. All their lyrics are Icelandic or a language they make up. Either way, I don't know what in the world their saying. But I love it. Its as if their voice is simply another instrument. In fact, they make instruments out of the earth in Iceland. They are incredibly humble and extremely brilliant. Their music takes me to another world entirely. Friends I have who have seen their concert say its the best they've ever seen. Sadly, they are no longer together. But solo projects keeps the spirit of Sigur Ros somewhat alive.

2. Radiohead. Though I do not listen to them very often, my appreciation for them is vast. They just came out with a new album last week and I've been listening to two of the songs repeatedly. I've yet to truly venture into the rest. But wow. Radiohead is synonymous with nonconformity. They do everything to be undetermined and out of the influence of media.

3. Explosions in the Sky. When I listen to their music it is as if they take my heart and place it in an emotion, happiness, peace, distress, confusion, despair, clarity, etc. With no lyrics whatsoever, they fill my head with thoughts and transport my spirit. My friends who have seen this band always say they cried.

I am going to put up a playlist with a few songs from these bands. These songs in no way do justice to the brilliance of their music. But what the heck.

No comments:

Post a Comment